Maharajgunj Nursing Campus, Maharajgunj
Prof. Sulochana Shrestha
Maharajgunj Nursing Campus is a pioneer Nursing Campus in Nepal established in 1956 A.D. as a school of nursing under the Directorate of Health Services, Ministry of Health. In 1972, with the introduction of new education system plan in Nepal it came under the Tribhuvan University, Institute of Medicine and named as Mahaboudha Nursing Campus until 1986 AD. The campus was moved to Maharajgunj premises of Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital and now it is renamed as Maharajgunj Nursing Campus.
The vision of the Maharajgunj Nursing Campus is to produce nursing and midwifery workforce of optimum level of academic excellence for universal health coverage in meeting the Sustainable Development Goals.
Its mission is to prepare nursing and midwifery workforce to lead and transform the care in a rapidly changing, diverse and complex health care environment through academic excellence, innovative research, strong partnerships, and global initiatives.
To achieve our mission and fulfill vision we have three strategic goals:
- To deliver high quality nursing and midwifery education comparable to the international standards.
- To promote quality education through faculty development initiative.
- To upgrade and update the existing academic infrastructure including library and IT facilities to support quality education.
During its more than 6 decades of existence Maharajgunj Nursing Campus has made considerable progress in its programs. It has increased its academic programs from that of Proficiency Certificate level (PCL) to Post Basic Bachelor of Nursing, Generic Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Master of Nursing, and PhD Nursing Program.
As per government policy PCL nursing programs has been phased out from this campus from the year 2015.
Current Programs at Maharajgunj Nursing Campus
Year of Initiation
Current Intake No.
|Bachelor of Nursing Science (BNS)||
|Master of Nursing||
Post Basic Bachelor of Nursing Program:
1. Bachelor of Nursing Science (BNS)
Objective: The objective of the Bachelor of Nursing Program is to produce middle level nursing providers and leaders who are capable of independent judgment, functioning in a leadership positions in the hospital and community; teaching the junior students and conduct research in areas in of nursing.
|First Year||Second Year||Third Year|
6. Major Subjects (Elective)
Candidates must have passed PCL Nursing Program from recognized institutes by securing minimum of 50% marks, must have at least one year of working experience in nursing after getting license to practice from Nepal Nursing Council (NNC) and must pass the entrance examination conducted by Institute of Medicine.
2. Generic B.Sc. Nursing Program
Objective: The objective of the Generic B.Sc. Nursing program is to prepare academically sound graduate nurses who are competent to carry out the role of care provider, manager, teacher and researcher in nursing areas.
|First Year||Second Year||Third Year||Fourth Year|
The candidate must have passed I. Sc. or 10+2 securing at least 50% marks in aggregate with major subject such as physics, chemistry and biology. They must pass the entrance examination conducted by the Institute of Medicine.
3. Master of Nursing Program
Master of Nursing (MN) Program in 4 specialty areas:
1. Women Health & Development
2. Adult Nursing
3. Child Health Nursing
4. Psychiatric Nursing.
Objective: To produce nurses who are capable of working at higher managerial level positions at the government offices, hospitals, academic institutions, research areas and nongovernmental organizations.
|First Year||Second Year|
6. Advances Nursing I (Practical) –Specialty
7. Educational Science
1. Advanced Nursing II–( Theory) – Specialty
2. Advanced Nursing II– (Practical) – Specialty
3. Thesis Writing & Viva Voce – Core
- Post-basic BN /BNS/ Generic B. Sc Nursing
- At least 1 year of working experience following Bachelor of Nursing program.
- Must qualify the entrance examination conducted by Institute of Medicine.
4. Ph.D Nursing Program
The candidate must have passed Master’s in Nursing at least in second division or equivalent.
- Midwifery Department
- Adult Nursing
- Paediatric Nursing
- Psychiatric Nursing
- Community Health Nursing
- Fundamental of Nursing
- Nursing Management
- Research and Education
1. Clinical Facilities for Students
- Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital 700 hundred badded. Maharajgunj.
- Manmohan Cardiothoracic Vascular and Transplant Centre,Maharajgunj
- B.P. Koirala Lions Centre for Ophthalmic Studies, Maharajgunj
- Ganesh Man Singh Memorial Academy for ENT. Maharajgunj
Other specialized Hospital
- Kanti Children Hospital, Maharajgunj
- Gangalal Heart Center, Bansbari
- Bharatpur Cancer Hospital, Chitwan
- Cancer Hospital, Bhaktapur
- Paropakar Maternity & Women’s Hospital , Thapathali
- Sukra Raj Tropical Hospital, Teku,Kathmandu
- Mental Hospital, Lagankhel, Kathmandu
- District Hospital Morong,
Community Field areas:
1. Residential fields Areas:
Chautara district hospital, Carikot PHCC, Dumkauli PHCC, Kusha devi health post, Dhunkhark health post, Sunthan PHCC, Nala health post, Khopasi PHCC, Panchakhal PHCC
2. Concurrent field Areas:
Sangla, Tokha, Dharmasthali, Kavresthali, Khadka Bhadrakali, Budhanilkantha, Gundu, Dhadhikot, Changu Narayan, Bode, Thimi, Bal kumara, Jitpur Phedi, Jhor, Golphutar.
- KOHA open source integrated soft ware program is used to access various databases including thesis database and other document data base has been created. These data could be accessed in the web address is: http://library.nsgcampus.edu.np
- Barcode system.
- Separate computer lab with internet facilities (free WIFI to user)
- All the printed reading materials are in open access system.
- Bibliography of research reports and theses.
- Photocopy and printing services.
- Access to medline, PubMed HINARI, NEPjol & ASIAjol etc. search through internet.
|WHO & other documents||2854|
|Thesis & research reports||1700|
|Slides & cassettes||525|
|HINARI (full texts accessed)||12700|
|Loose Issues back issues||1100|
The Campus has its own hostel facility with double-bedded room which can accommodate 284 students.
Address for Correspondence:
Tribhuvan University,Institute of Medicine
Maharajgunj Nursing Campus, Maharajgunj,
Tel.: 977-1-4720423(Exam Section)
977-1-4720334 (Assistant Campus Chief/Warden/Administration)