Bachelor of Optometry
BACHELOR OF OPTOMETRY (B. Optom)
Optometry is a health care profession that is autonomous, educated, regulated (licensed/ registered), and optometrists are the primary health care practitioners of the eye and visual system who provides comprehensive eye and vision care, which includes refraction and dispensing, detection/diagnosis and management of diseases in the eye, and rehabilitation of conditions of the visual system (World Council of Optometry).
Optometrists take care of the majority of the patients. Most patients with visual problems are well managed by optometrists and other patients having ocular diseases that need special care are referred to ophthalmologists and medical practitioners. Optometrists work mutually with other members of the eye care team such as ophthalmologists and ophthalmic assistants with a good understanding to provide quality services to the patients.
Goal of the program
To produce competent, compassionate and community oriented optometrically trained manpower who is capable of providing vision care, identify ocular and related systemic illness to be referred to medical practitioners.
Objectives of the program
To provide knowledge and develop practical skills in primary eye health care in the field of visual and optical science for high school graduates.
To develop skills in:
1. History taking and physical examinations
2. Measuring visual functions
3. General as well as specific eye examinations
4. Correlating different structures and functions of human body
5. Assessing the ocular health and recognize ocular signs of systemic diseases
6. Prescribing and fitting appropriate visual aids
7. Referring patients for medical and ophthalmic consultations as appropriate
8. Undertaking independent scientific studies and critically analyze scientific literatures
9. Updating his/ her knowledge and skills in optometry
10. Planning and implementing community based vision care services
Competencies to be achieved
By the end of this course the students should be able to:
1. Elicit a general history and conduct related physical examinations.
2. Elicit family, medical and ocular history
3. Identify the presenting optometric complaint
4. Examine the eyes and measure visual functions
5. Correlate the structures and functions of human body
6. Assess the ocular health and recognize ocular signs of common systemic diseases
7. Prescribe and fit appropriate visual aids.
8. Refer patients for medical and ophthalmic consultations as appropriate
9. Undertake independent scientific studies and critically analyze scientific literatures.
10. Update his/her knowledge and skills in optometry
11. Plan and implement community based vision care services.
Duration of Course:
The course is for four Academic years. Outline of course description is given below:
I First year:
Basic concepts of basic sciences
Basic concept of optics and visual sciences
Introduction to community health
II Second year:
Optometry I and II
Ophthalmic optics I
Advance visual science
Binocular vision I
Contact lens I
Low vision I
III Third year:
Ophthalmic optics II
Contact lens II and ocular prosthesis
Binocular vision II
Low vision II
IV Fourth year:
Applied community optometry
Clinical optometry practice
1. At least 50% in aggregate in certificate Final Examination (I. Sc. With Biology) from Tribhuvan University or 10+2 with Biology recognized by Higher Secondary Education Council, Nepal or A level or equivalent.
2. Age not above 25 years.
3. The candidate should pass the entrance examination held by Examination Control Division of Institute of Medicine Tribhuvan University. Candidates will be admitted according to the number of seats.
Nepali Candidates: 6 seats
Foreign candidates: 2 seats
1. Prof. Dr. Dev Narayan Shah, MD
2. Prof. Dr. Dr. Jeevan K. Shrestha, FRCS, FRCOphth
3. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ananda Sharma, MD
4. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Sagun N. Joshi, MD
5. Dr. Jyoti B. Shrestha, MD, Lecturer
6. Dr. Meenu Chaudhary, Md. Lecturer
7. Dr. Madhu Thapa, MD. Lecturer
8. Dr. Gulsan B. Shrestha, MD, Lecturer
9. Dr. Ranju Kharel, MD, Teaching Assistant
1. Gauri S. Shrestha, M.Optom, FIACLE, Teaching Assistant
2. Dr. Sanjeeb Bhattarai, OD, M.Optpm, teaching Assistant
3. Prakash Adhikari, B.Optom, Instructor
4. Neeraj Dev Joshi, B.Optom, Instructor
Co-ordinator: Dr. Jyoti Baba Shrestha, MD
Contact person: Mr. Gauri S. Shrestha, M.Optom, FIACLE.