MD in Psychiatry
MD psychiatry programme was started by Department of Psychiatry & Mental Health of Tribhuvan University, Institute of Medicine in 1977.
The three-year MD (Psychiatry) programme will prepare a resident to acquire the knowledge, skills and attitude required of him /her and to acquire the competencies to manage mental health problems independently.
Competency of an MD Postgraduate:
On completion of the MD Psychiatry residency programme, the candidate will be able to provide comprehensive and effective management of mental health problem encountered in Nepal independently. The resident will be able to:
- Manage independently mental health problems of all types.
- Diagnose mental health problem by collecting information from the patients and relatives, physical examination and available diagosticprocedures and facilities.
- Demonstrate an adequate knowledge, skills and attitude for the development of mental health services.
- Arrange and/or conducts appropriate in service training for hospital staff and community health personal of all levels in matters concerning mental health.
- Independently and efficiently organized mental health services of defined geographical area or group of persons.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and act consistently within healthcare objectives of HMG Nepal.
- Work in multi-disciplinary team of related professionals and act as leader.
- Maintain personal and professional standards of international level.
General training Concepts:
A variety of concepts need to be incorporated into postgraduate training. These have been kept in mind while developing the detailed educational objectives. The postgraduate will go through three years full time residential training. A preceptor/guide will be designated for each PG student.
As for other MD programmes of Institute of Medicine.
General guidelines of the Institute of Medicine will be followed in relation to evaluation. Evaluation will be based on theory, thesis and practical/clinical examinations. These are as follows:
|Basic Neuroscience & Neuropathology
Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Second Year (Thesis):
As part of requirement, the candidate will have to undertake a research work under guidance of the faculty and write a thesis. Dissertation work should preferably be completed and submitted six months ahead of the anticipated date of MD final examination. The candidate will not be allowed to sit for final examination unless the thesis has been accepted.
- General Psychiatry
- Child & Adolecent Psychiatry
- Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry
- Addiction Psychiatry
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Community and Social Psychiatry
- Geriatric Psychiatry
- Psychopharmacology and
- Other Treatment Methods.
At the end of 3 years residency programme, a practical/clinical assessment will be made.
The candidates who pass the examination will be awarded the degree of Doctor of Medicine (MD) in Psychiatry by Tribhuvan University.
Faculties Involved from the Department of Psychiatry:
Prof. Dr. Mahendra Kumar Nepal
Dr. Vidya Dev Sharma
Dr. Shishir Kumar Regmi
Dr. Abdul Khalid
Dr. Nabaraj Koirala
Prof. Malik H. Mubbashar S. I. (Visiting faculty)
Faculties from UMN and Shree Birendra Hospital:
Dr. Sarah Acland, MRC Psycg
Dr. K. C. Rajbhandari, DPM, MD