MD in Anaesthesiology
Anaesthesia is a medical specially which includes patient assessment and provision of life support. Analgesia for both surgical procedures and childbirth & assessment and management of critically ill patients; as well as assessment and management of pain.
- Capable of practicing as a higher specialist in anaesthesia.
- Capable of teaching the speciality and educating the patient and community.
- Capable of organising and implementing the service and educational programme.
- Capable of conducting and supervising research activities.
- Capable of communicating effectively & efficiently with teachers, colleagues, patients and relatives.
- Capable of self directed learning & Continuing Medical Education.
At the end of the MD course the students would have acquired or developed knowledge, and skills so that he or she would be able to.
- Assess and prepare patients for anaesthesia.
- Provide insensibility to pain during surgical, obstetric; therapeutic and diagnostic procedures and manage patients so affected.
- Monitor and restore homeostasis in the critically ill injured or otherwise seriously ill patients.
- Manage and teach cardiac pulmonary and cerebral resuscitation.
- Manage painful syndromes.
- Supervise, teach and evaluate performances of both medical and other health personnel involved in anaesthesia, respiratory and critical care.
- Conduct research at the clinical and basis science level to explain and improve the care of patients.
- Develop qualities on initiatives, creativity, sound judgement and logical deducation so as to provide academic leadership in anaesthesia.
- Must possess MBBS or equivalent qualification recognized by Tribhuvan University.
- Permanent registration with Nepal Medical Council.
- Must be eligible for the entrance examination of Institute of Medicine, Tribhuvan University
- Successful candidate at the entrance examination will be selected on merit basis.
- Manage anaesthesia for ASA GRI, if patients
- Perform and demonstrate CPR
- Thesis planning. Submit thesis protocol.
- Develop communicative skill
- Interpretation of radiological findings, ECG common lab investigations.
- Manage anaesthesia for ASA III, IV patients.
- Manage regional anaesthesia, IV anaesthesia.
- Manage anaesthesia for specialised surgery e.g. Obstetric and Paediatrics.
- Posting in the Medical Department.
- Teaching Jouniors.
- Complete thesis work.
- Organise departmental meeting.
- Anaesthesia for super specialised surgery e.g. Cardiac and Neurosurgery.
- Management of patients on long term ventilation.
- Elective period of 6 months – for one or more of the following areas :
- Eye centre or to any other centre considered appropriate, for two weeks experience in doing orbital blocks.
- One month in critical care area of the Kanti Children’s Hospital.
- Two weeks at a surgical camp.
- Clinical or basis science area where the candidate is deficient, as recommended by his/her preceptor or as requested by the candidate.
- Any other clinical or basic science area.
- Management of pain.
- Defend thesis.
- Organisational work.
Bir Hospital, Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital, Kanti Children Hospital, Thapathali Maternity Hospital and other hospitals as approved by the MD Anaesthesiology Subject Committee.
This will consist of three components:
a. Formative evaluation
Formative evaluation will be 20% of the total marks of Theory.
Pass mark of 50% in the formative evaluation is compulsory for the Final examination.
c. Summative evaluation: Final Examination
This will be conducted by the University and will consist of:
Theory-there shall be a total of three papers, each of three hours duration with multiple choice questions (MCQs) and short answer question (SAQs)
- Paper I applied basic sciences 80 marks
- Paper II principles and practice of anaesthesia 80 marks
- Paper III Subspecialties and recent advances in
anaesthesia 80 marks
- Clinical long/semi long/short cases 100 marks
- OSCE 10-20 stations 100 marks
- Viva two tables, each with one external and
one internal examiners 100 marks
The candidates who pass the examination will be awarded the degree of Doctor of Medicine (Anaesthesiology) by Tribhuvan University.
Co-ordinator: Dr. N. B. Rana. MBBS. DA. FFARCS
Preceptors: Prof. R Amatya, MBBS, DA, FCRS (TUTH)
Dr. B. M. Shrestha, MBBS, DA, FRCAT (Bir Hospital)
Dr. B. D. Jha, MBBS, MD (Bir Hospital)
Dr. G. R. Bajracharya, B.Sc. , MBBS, MD (Kanti-Hospital)
P.G. Teacher: Dr. P. R. Joshi, MD, DA, FRCA (TUTH)