General Information about Admission for Foreign Students
The Institute of Medicine (IOM) was established in 1972 under Tribhuvan University with a mandate and responsibility of training all the categories of health manpower needed in the country. Within the first decade of its establishment, it developed a total of 12 campuses, out of which, three were Kathmandu and 9 were outside the Kathmandu Valley.
In the beginning the stress was on training of middle level health workers. The programmes for this purpose were ANM, CMA, Proficiency Certificate Courses in General Medicine, Pharmacy, Radiology, Physiotherapy, Nursing, Health Laboratory and Ayurveda (a Traditional Medicine program).
In 1978, a community-oriented integrated MBBS programme was started with an intake of 22 students. The intake was subsequently increased and the current enrollment rate is 60 students per year.
A three hundred-bedded TU Teaching Hospital was built in 1984 with support from JICA, Japan and another 100 beds were added in 1993. Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital (TUTH) is a 444 bedded tertiary care hospital. This hospital is being used for the teaching/learning activities of different programmes run by IOM, along with research work.
At post-graduate level, a three year General Practice (Family Physician) program was started in 1982 and it was followed by one-year Postgraduate Diploma in Anaesthesiology in 1984 with the support from the University of Calgary, Canada. Today, IOM is running 29 different programmes from proficiency certificate level to postgraduate level in medicine, public health, paramedical, nursing and traditional medicine (Ayurved Science) through 9 campuses scattered all over the country.
Following academic programmes are running at IOM
- Certificate level: 4 (Nursing, Health Laboratory Technology, Pharmacy, Radiography)
- Bachelor level: 10 (MBBS, BPH, BMLT, B. Pharm, B. Optom, BN, BDS, B.Sc RT, BAMS, BASLP)
- Postgraduate level: 26 (MDs in General practice, Internal Medicine, Ophthalmology, Pediatrics, Pathology, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Psychiatry, Dermatology, Radiodignosis, Anesthesiology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Forensic Medicine, Clinical anatomy, Clinical Pharmacology, Clinical Physiology and MSs in General Surgery, Orthopedics and Trauma Surgery, ENT and Head and Neck Surgery, Master's in Medical lab technical in microbiology, M Sc in biochemistry, Master's in Public Health, M. Phil. in Clinical Psychology, MN in adult nursing, women health and development and Pediatric Nursing)
- Master of Chirurgie (M Ch) programme: 4 (Surgical Gastro Enterology, Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Urology, Neurosurgery)
- Doctorate in Medicine (DM) Programme: 4 (Gastro Enterology, Cardiothoracic and Vascular, Neurology and Nephrology)
For further more information click below to view the links
Admission Procedure for Post Graduate Programmes
Admission Procedure for Bachelor Programmes
Click to download form (pdf) format (doc) format
:: Contact Persons ::
Prof. Dr. Basista Prasad Rijal
Asst. Dean (Examination and Academy)
Mrs. Sunita Budhathoki
Mr. Kali Prasad Rosyara
Tel: 0977-1-44 10294
:: Mailing Address::
Office of Dean
IOM (Institute of Medicine)
Post Graduate Centre
P.O.Box No.: 1524